Kill toenail fungus and get those feet summer ready!
A long winter in closed in sweaty shoes can take their toll on your toenails. If you have noticed thick yellow toenails, that have crumbling under the nails, you may have acquired fungus nails.
There are several main causes of fungus infection of the toenails:
- Family predisposition- check your grandparents feet!
- Sweaty Feet– hot work environments, athletics
- Previous Injury- Jamming toe, dropping something on toe
- Chronic Microtrauma- jogging,tennis
- Immune Compromised- >65 yo, Diabetes, poor circulation
Fungus is on every person, all over the world, their entire life!
95% of toenail infections are caused by Dermatophytes.
Dermatophytes are a fungus. The one most responsible for the infections we see in Podiatrists offices in Cranberry Twp Pa, are Trichophyton rubrum ( T. Rubrum) and Trichophyton mentagrophytes ( T. Mentagrophytes).
Toenails are not the only area of the body that fungus grows. You may recognize these common names associated with their infected area of the body:
- Athlete’s foot (tinea pedis)
- Crotch itch (tinea cruris)
- Ringworm (tinea corporis)
- Toenail fungal (tinea unguium, onychomycosis)
How To Prevent Toenail Fungus?
- Keep the length of your toenails short
By doing this, the risk of nail damage is reduced and debris from accumulating under the nails is prevented.
To maintain your nails strong and prevent ingrown toenails, cut them straight across.
- Put on shoes that fit you properly
Your toenails should never be touched. Alternate your daily shoes as well so they have a chance to breathe before you wear them again.
- Opt for lightweight footwear
In warm, damp environments, such as in hot, sweaty shoes, fungus grows.
When possible, wear sandals; if you must wear socks, pick ones that wick moisture from your skin.
Once you know you have a Fungus Toenails infection, it’s important to start treatment as soon as possible.
Steps to prevent fungus nails in Moon Twp PA:
- Reduce moisture in your shoe
- Use a foot antiperspirant after your shower
- Change your socks 2x a day
- Kill fungal spores in your shoe with a Tineacide
- Kill the existing fungus under the nails with a laser
- Seal the nail off with a daily topical antifungal